Thursday 25 April 2013

Young, Cool and Worldly in Toronto

A song can make you feel a certain way, or it can trigger a memory that can make you feel certain feelings.
This song makes me feel happy and cool, and I remember shopping at a cool shop selling exotic stuff of some kind upstairs in the Eaton Centre in Toronto, hearing this song and staying to listen to several songs from the album, and then asking the salesperson for the name of the artist so I could buy the album. It was Ottmar Liebert and Luna Negra. I think I went directly to the record store and bought the cassette. (My daughters will laugh here, because I still call the place where you can buy music " the record store" and they think it's hilarious. They'll probably think it's equally ridiculous that I bought a tape at the record store.)
For some reason, that made me feel grown up and cool and worldly. This music was a flamenco-type fusion-ish new thing, and this Ottmar guy was so wonderfully exotic: American, he was born in Germany to a German-Chinese father and Hungarian mother, and into Spanish guitar. The music is relaxing and pleasant to listen to, great for dinner accompaniment, and also makes me want to dance. I bought the second album too, on tape.



No comments:

Post a Comment